Yesterday we spent time looking over the first 7 verses of 1 Peter chapter 3. Today we are going to focus on verses 8-9. Let’s try and figure out what these verses say Peter asks us to do.
8 Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. 9 Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.
This section is often titled something along the lines of “Suffering for Doing Right”
Again Peter is pretty specific on what he asks us to do. How he has asked us to live our lives.
- be like-minded, be in agreement, have unity of mind, be of one mind
- understanding each other, be sympathetic
- loving each other as family, brotherly love
- being kind and humble, be compassionate, tender-hearted
- Do not repay evil for evil, No retaliation
- No sharp-tongued sarcasm, do not insult to repay an insult
Instead, bless—that’s your job, to bless. You’ll be a blessing and also get a blessing.
Let’s focus on that.
© 2014, Chrissy@thePearlblog This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them will help support this blog.. All rights reserved.