I feel like we are surrounded with so much worry and anxiety. So much so we are not even aware it’s happening at times. It creeps up on us throughout the day. What are we going to do to stop it from taking over our lives, how are we going to fact back when those feelings start to appear?
anx·i·e·ty /aNGˈzī-itē/ noun
a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome.
wor·ry /wərē/ verb
give way to anxiety or unease; allow one’s mind to dwell on difficulty or troubles.
The number one thing we can do is PRAY. Pray to our Father who is faithful, who is loving, who is forgiving, who protects, who nurtures, who cares about every hair on our head.
Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Next we can read the scriptures and see what God has to say about it.
Let’s start in 1 Peter since we have been there all week, and then move throughout the bible.
1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
He cares for you. He is there for you.
1 Peter 5:10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
He chose you, He wants you, He called you to be with Him, He loves you.
Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me
Matthew 6:25-34 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Isaiah 41:10 do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
2 Corinthians 1:20 For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God.
Psalm 56:3 When I am afraid, I will trust in you.
I want to leave you with 3 verses that help me when anxiety and worry start to creep in.
1. When we feel like people are out to get us, when we feel like we are being attacked, we need to pray this verse:
- Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
- And the answer of course is NO ONE. God always wins.
2. When we are traveling down a road with a lot of uncertainties, or you are on a path that is dark and full of suffering, pray this verse:
- Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me
- God will comfort you, you may not see it right away but God will be right there with you.
3. When you feel so lost in a world of sin, darkness, evil, betrayal, and heartache, when you feel like God is so far away, pray this verse:
- Romans 8:38-39 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Nothing can separate from the love, protection, and peace of the Father. No matter our circumstance the Lord is right there.
stay up to date on our Lenten series.
© 2014 – 2015, Chrissy@thePearlblog This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them will help support this blog.. All rights reserved.